Tuesday, July 3, 2007

the bird in the airplane plant

So, I sit here, watching the wren in my airplane plant. I was watering my plants one day and noticed a stray piece of plant in my pot, and when I took it down (it hangs above eye level) it was not a stray plant but a bird nest. So, after that 3 eggs appeared in the nest. And now the wren sits there all the time. Well, except when my roommate or I leave through the front door, then it flies away, sometimes almost taking off our heads. Crazy bird. I have watched this bird for at least a week, I have trouble measuring the passage of time anymore, I just know it goes by quickly. But some days, the wind is blowing, and I think the poor bird must be getting seasick. But I admire its patience, and how it sits there day and night, waiting for those little eggs to hatch. I like having a bird nest in my plant, it seems a little like its my bird, and my eggs, and I feel good that I have given a smaller creature a place of shelter. I wonder what it's thinking. I know they say birds don't think much, but something must be going on in its tiny mind. I wish it wouldn't fly away all the time, so I could just get closer, look closer. But I can only get close if I'm on the other side of the window. I guess if I was a bird I'd fly away too. But the bird is there, and I can't wait to have little chirping baby birds there too. I may have to put a cushion on the ground when it's time for them to learn to fly, b/c I would hate to see one not make it. I'm not a 'tree-hugger' type, or sobber over the laws of nature, but these are my birds, and I want them to make it. I get attached to little critters that share my space (well, not bugs so much) and I want them to make it. Most of us will make it, with a little (or a lot) help and patience. So I guess this is my prayer for the wren in my airplane plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment