Thursday, August 30, 2007

some questions on reality

I am getting close to the finishing of my omnivore's dilemma book (fortunately it was not due in full the first day of class, nor the second). And it is talking about hunting, and the moral etc issues involved in hunting. And I am thinking, this is why I am a vegetarian, at least in part. Because I have decided that if I am not going to participate in the killing/preparing of animals for meat, then I should not eat meat. Though I wear clothing and do not participate in the making of cloth, which I guess is similar. I also find meat disgusting to a certain degree, which is another factor. And mass produced meat is probably an abomination in it's own right, in terms of humane treatment, but more so in terms of natural processes, and how meat is questionably meat these days. I was looking up vitamin B12 and citric acid, b/c they are mentioned in the book and I wanted to clarify my misconceptions of the two, and I stumbled across a couple of vegetarian websites, which I found interesting to say the least. I did not realize there were so many rules involved in being a true vegetarian. I found that at least theoretically a true vegetarian is not supposed to eat fish, which I was unsure about, b/c I know those who claim vegetarian status who eat fish. (and then there's the Catholic prohibition of meat eating on Fridays and during Lent that permits the eating of fish) So I feel better about being vegetarian and not eating fish, expecially since I just don't like fish. I haven't liked fish since I was a kid, and somehow lost taste for catfish. The texture is questionable, etc. Regardless, I did not realize that true vegetarianism doesn't allow the consumption of fish, so I guess that made me feel better about myself, though the list of additives that are supposedly made from animal products that vegetarians aren't supposed to eat basically only succeeded in confusing me. Though I forgot gelatin is made from animal, and I bought some jello (and actually like jello). I thought at one point that kosher gelatin was not made from animal, or that there was some form of gelatin not made from animal, but apparently rules have changed, according to one of the websites, and even kosher gelatin is made from animal. Which I think in theory, if I remember the Biblical kosher rules (which have since been expounded upon) would not prohibit gelatin from animal, but the fact that kosher gelatin can now even include some processed version of something formerly from a pig shocked me, since pig is undeniably not kosher. So anyway. I will probably be breaking some superspecific vegetarian rules mostly through ignorance, but I have enough issues with eating as it is, so I don't know that it would be terribly prudent of me to further complicate things, lest I starve. And apparently one large group of those who practice vegetarianism do participate for reasons such as cruelty to animals and inhumane treatments, etc. Which I imagine to a certain extent I would echo, I think it is probably irresponsible and not keeping with God's granting of stewardship over the earth to us to act in such manners, but I have a hard time acknowledging my vegetarianism as a totally political act, because I think the issues involved in the processing and growing of animals are more complicated than just their mistreatment. The are a multitude of factors involving humans also that contribute to these procedures, and I do not feel well enough informed to thoroughly sort through these issues and make a well-informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment