Friday, October 31, 2008

Today's OTHER Holidays

Today is traditionally Halloween in this part of the world, but it is also Reformation Day and Día de los Muertos. I wore red today for Reformation Day, and mentioned both holidays to a few people, mostly to odd/skeptical looks. Most people seem to be content with the dressing up and partying for Halloween. I am glad for the other two options of the day, however, because I long ago lost much interest in holidays because they didn't seem to have lot of meaning, and I like these two options because they do. I appreciate celebrating the souls of those who have gone before us, and I appreciate remembering the day that Luther began his challenge of the church. Both are, to me, more like what holidays should be, commemorating something important in our lives and histories. May we celebrate our lives as we remember those who are no longer living in this world with us, and may we embrace our theology and church as we work to make the world a better place and live in God's grace and mercy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment